Ministry is from the Greek word diakoneo, meaning “to serve.”
Gen 2:18, And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
God, from the beginning, meant for a husband and wife to work together as a team in the ministry.
We can have a great marriage while working the ministry if we remember these ten things:
It’s God’s ministry, not ours.
Psalms 127:1, Except the Lord build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain.
God calls the man to the ministry and the wife’s calling should be to her husband.
Your wife should have the opportunity to serve you and your kids. While your wife should be willing to serve as much as is needed in the ministry, give her the option of how much she wants to do.
The husband shouldn’t allow the ministry to hurt his wife.
- Don’t tell your wife all the negative things about the ministry.
- Don’t allow women in the church to verbally abuse her.
- Don’t expect her to stay at the church as late as you do.
The wife should avoid hindering her husband from serving in the ministry.
- Don’t gripe to your husband about the ministry.
- Allow your husband the liberty to give himself to helping families.
As much as possible, get involved in the ministry together.
- Make visits together.
- Go soul winning together.
- Counsel couples together, when possible.
- Go on double dates with church members.
- If musically able, sing specials together.
Make sure you guard your date nights.
- A wife that knows that there is a time set aside for her is more willing to give up her husband for others.
Pray together and share blessings of the ministry.
- “Couples that pray together stay together.”
- Learn to enjoy the time you spend with your spouse. Plan fun activities.
Learn how to romance your wife.
Gen 26:8, And it came to pass, when he had been there a long time, that Abimelech king of the Philistines looked out at a window, and saw, and, behold, Isaac was sporting with Rebekah his wife.
- Isaac and Rebekah were seen showing affection one to the other.
- Learn how to properly romance your wife. Make her feel that she is special to you. Many times a man wants to treat his wife like one of the guys.
- Remind her often that she is beautiful and that you are happy that she is your wife. A wife’s common complaint is that her husband treats other ladies in the church better than he treats his own wife.
- A wife will feel less attractive the older she gets. It’s the husband’s job to make sure his wife feels needed and attractive.
Plan your budget together.
- One of the causes for friction in marriages is that of finances.
- Agree on the budget; allow your wife to give input.
- Make a budget and hold to it!
Here are some things to budget:
- Tithe and Offerings
- House payment
- Car payment
- Make sure to budget money for your wife to buy things she needs as well as things she wants.